The Kava blockchain is expanding and is one of the biggest for protocols. The Kava Foundation is safeguarding the growth and the 3 main security layers which are all explained below.
Kava is all about growth. Growth is safeguarded by three layers:
- Proof of Stake (PoS) Security
- Infrastructure Security
- Financial Reserve Security
Growth and security go hand in hand. Here is a breakdown:
There are three layers of security in the Kava ecosystem, which are governed by the Kava Foundation. Kava governance has the ability to modify, add, and remove these layers at any time.
There is a full vote on all layers of Kava governance, ensuring openness and decentralization. This arrangement is unlike other blockchain Foundations that pass proposals opaquely with foundation board members.
Kava Rise Protocols Rewarded
Kava Rise is a $750M on-chain programmatic developer growth engine that continues to onboard the most innovative developers across the DeFi, GameFi, and NFT verticals.
Kava Rise protocols are rewarded based on the amount of growth they contribute to the blockchain. The growth parameters can be adjusted by Kava governance based on evolving market conditions.
What They Do
- DeFi Protocols: P2P borrowing and lending, yield optimization, AMMs, derivatives, stableswaps, insurance, DEXs, DAOs, DeFi infrastructure, and asset management.
- NFT: Digital artworks and collectibles, authenticity and identity verification, real estate, medical records, intellectual property, patents, academic credentials, ticketing, and voting.
- GameFi: Play-to-earn (P2E), in-game and cross-game DeFi with cryptocurrency and NFT rewards, Metaverse development, and trading of virtual land, avatars, items, and skins.
Who They Are
- Beefy Finance
- … and 67+ protocols.
Infrastructure & Security Layer
The Infrastructure and Security layers are responsible for the extremely difficult task of making the Kava blockchain performant and secure. Ethereum is not performant.
The cost of a debilitating hack is infinite. It’s everything. Kava invests heavily in the Infrastructure and Security layer to safeguard growth.
What They Do
- Core blockchain infrastructure and security
- Data Services
- Full node query performance
- Performant, high uptime public RPC and API
- Reliable, easy-to-use block explorers
- Secure data querying: proving light clients and decentralized services (e.g., The Graph)
- Ecosystem tooling
- High-quality documentation
- Kava SDKs
- Ensuring good integration with existing EVM tooling
- Chain upgrade processes
- Improved upgrade procedures for safer, faster, and more reliable upgrades
- Validator tooling for state rollbacks and faster chain syncs for those that miss upgrades.
- Bridge and cross-chain messaging security risk reduction
- Both traditional IT security of bridges but also new economic risks added from a wider range of smart contract interactions
- Wallets security and feature improvements
- User wallet security and recovery mechanisms (e.g., social recovery)
- Smart contract wallets/account abstraction
- Consensus engine decentralization and throughput
- Increase decentralization and diversity of validator set while not sacrificing throughput
- modularize blockchain architecture (e.g., ZK rollups)
- Increase consensus security through IBC interchain security
- Consensus engine security
- Mempool improvements / MEV mitigation
- Execution engine (e.g., EVM) performance
- Improves global transaction throughput and reduces gas costs
Who They Are.
- Akash (infrastructure)
- Ascendex (infrastructure)
- Axelar (bridge)
- Binance (bridge, asset issuance)
- Chainlayer (infrastructure)
- Chainlink (oracles)
- Celer Network (Bridge)
- CertiK (core security)
- Circle (asset issuance)
- Coinbase (custody and infrastructure)
- Cosmostation (infrastructure)
- Fireblocks (custody)
- Gate (infrastructure)
- Huobi (asset issuance)
- Kava Labs (core infra and security)
- Kraken (infrastructure)
- Multichain (bridge)
- Polynetwork (bridge)
- Renvm (bridge)
- StakeWithUs (infrastructure)
- TheGraph (indexer)
- Witnet (oracles)
- … many more teams are coming with the “Infrastructure Security Rewards” launch.
The Kava Blockchain is a decentralized network currently powered by Tendermint BFT consensus. Kava validators are the backbone of security for the Kava blockchain. They secure the blockchain at a PoS layer by running full nodes and participating in consensus. Validators and their delegators also participate in voting, which is essential to security in all layers.
What They Do
- Run full nodes
- Broadcast votes that contain cryptographic signatures signed by a validator’s private keys
- Commit new blocks
- Participate in governance by voting on proposals
Who They Are
- Binance Staking
- Chorus one
- … 200+ Kava Validators
Foundation Reserve Security
The Kava Foundation Reserve exists to help secure the Kava ecosystem from financial shocks. Crypto as an industry is a highly volatile technology subject to numerous attack vectors, which may result in negative financial outcomes. The goal of the Reserve is to help mitigate risks, subject entirely to Kava governance votes.
What They Do
- SAFU Fund, which may assist in the case of items like bridge hacks, infrastructure hacks, protocol hacks, etc.
- Deployment of Reserve assets as liquidity into Kava protocols
- Creating a basket of assets for hedging purposes
Who They Are
- Kava governance entirely
In the future, subject to Kava governance, part of the Foundation Reserve may be wrapped in a non-profit organization. This organization would be able to more readily execute the will of Kava governance on off-chain items like the conversion of Reserve assets into a basket that is neutral or negatively correlated with the market. This basket of assets may include assets like stablecoins, BTC, and other instruments as Kava governance deems prudent.
Kava Foundation Conclusion
The Kava Foundation is a formalization of the Kava governance and community processes that have been taking place for nearly three years. The goal is to safeguard the growth of the Kava blockchain in the layers of PoS Security, Infrastructure Security, and Financial Reserve Security which work in conjunction with the Kava Rise growth engineer to make Kava the fastest growing blockchain for protocols.
As always, Kava Governance may modify this and any future initiative to continue evolving and keeping the core tenants of growth and safeguarding growth.
Via this site